Skip to main content

Politics.

I have never fully understood the concept of what goes on behind the scenes in politics until today.
And I will forever be disgusted by it. 
By the levels some people are willing to stoop just to have their names embellished on gold tags that will be paraded around campus on their chests.
Our university is having our very first Student Body Council election.
There was a meeting last week informing us about the process. All interested candidates (for President, Vice President, Secretary and Treasurer) were to nominate themselves today within the time frame given and all candidates must be Year 2 medical students only.
See.
I had no intention of actually becoming a part of the Student Body in the first place. Of course I wanted to be able to handle something. I wanted to be President. I wanted to lead just like how it was back during my school days.
But after I got to know which classmates of mine were planning to run for said posts, I decided to just lay low and perhaps, if I get lucky, get a post as one of the Directors. 
Either way, post or no post, I already have so many ideas in my head that I'm waiting to pitch to the new board.
However, things have taken a turn.
For the worst or for better I can't say.
In class this morning, one of our lecturers curiously asked for a show of hands to get a rough estimate of the number of students who were planning to run for the available posts.
And because of that, I made up my mind, later on, to run for Secretary to even out the playing field and to give the other candidate a run for his/her money. I knew I wouldn't win. I just wanted things to be fair.
FAIR.
Alas, all is never fair in love and war.
And this is war!
>:(
We waited until nearly 5pm for the list of nominees to be pinned up on the bulletin board.

I saw two other names just below mine. Two other names who were running for the same post as Secretary.
And the last name on that list was the one that was totally unexpected.


Had I known that there was even just one other student running for the post, I would have never nominated myself.
And here I was staring at two names.

It was all deviously (albeit last minute) plotted and planned. 
Such greed, so evidently transparent.
The main purpose of having a Student Body Council is so that we students have a channel for our voices to be heard. And whosoever wishes to bear this responsibility upon his shoulders needs to understand just how important it is to see to the need of every other student before seeing to himself. It's not about the gold name tag or the certificate that you will no doubt receive at the end of your term of service. It's about taking up a position because you know you'll be able to handle the pressure and the tasks given. 
We (by we I speak for myself and the students of this university) have been noticing how certain students have handled past events, activities and projects. 
Some are able to talk the talk but when it comes to walking the walk, they fail oh so terribly and this infuriates so many of the others who could have actually pulled everything off without a hitch, had the tasks been delegated.

This post of mine is not meant to put or bring anyone down.
On the contrary, I only wish to make aware the necessity of choosing or voting for someone who is thoroughly capable of taking the lead in this matter.


There are so many capable students who have not stepped up because they know they will not receive votes. Even if there is a debate, even if there is a campaign, if you're not pally with everyone on campus, your chances of getting the post that you want are exceptionally slim.
I strongly urge all of you who will be voting next Monday, to make your choice and your decision very carefully, because the person you are going to be voting for will be representing you and everyone else.
Choose those who are capable of performing, rather than just voicing out. 

Choose those who are willing to go against all odds to fight for what you deserve as a student.
Choose those who are level headed and wise enough to make decisions on behalf of you and your friends.

Choose those who put in effort to get things done.
Don't vote for someone to take on a position just because he/she is your friend. If he/she is perfectly capable of taking on the position then by all means. Vote. But if you think otherwise, then don't do it.
You're all old enough and wise enough to make your own decisions. 
So please choose your Student Body Council representatives very, very carefully. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Table Topics: Judgement & Understanding

Took one of my classmates out today coz she needed to get some things. She's been through a lot. Nothing I will disclose here but we had a pretty long chat in the car once we got back. And it's really true what they say about never judging someone before getting to know them. She opened up to me about everything that was going on. How she felt about things. How she was dealing with things. And at the end of the day it all boils down to understanding. There's a reason behind the things people do. It's simply a matter of accepting that reason and understanding them for it and them helping them get through it. You hear stories about married couples going through a divorce. It's really not an option anyone should think about after marriage. After all it's for better or for worse, right? But what if sometimes it becomes too much to bear? What if sometimes things get impossible to handle? What if that's the reason divorces happen in the first plac

To Date.

I've recently been nominated for the Liebster Blog Award thanks to a friend of mine I've only known via Facebook for some years now. The blog post for that is still being drafted. I've been posed some pretty tricky questions /;) Haven't been blogging as frequently as I used to coz I didn't bring my laptop back home this time round. Didn't think I'd have much use for it. Things have been a little...crazy here to say the least. I'm actually twenty-one now. Though I must say, the word 'freedom' was never synonymous with this age. All I ever related to this milestone was responsibility. Funny. It's been such a rollercoaster ride of emotions. I could never completely describe it. I've been thinking about how I've celebrated my birthdays all these years. Two birthdays I celebrated away from home. My eighteenth, which was in the UK with Aunty M and Uncle T, and my twentieth, which was in Johor with my classmates and a once

Dubai

Dubai was actually a layover. Since I have friends there I decided to spend a few days with them before flying out to London.  I took Emirates to and from Dubai & the UK & it was great. The unlimited wine was a major plus :P Only spent about 3 days in Dubai so I saw only a few of the major must-see spots.  My friend picked me up from the airport & we went to her place first. It was about 20 minutes away. More depending on traffic. Roads are very broad and each side has 6 lanes with a minimum of 3 on average. You see a lot of SUVs there. There's a lot of American influence. The UAE doesn't have their own national car.  It felt a lot like being in KL at first. Only after a while I started taking in the difference. Plenty of skyscrapers everywhere. But unlike KL, buildings here are built much closer together. & there is a LOT of development going on, still.  After washing up at home, we headed out to the Burj. The entrance is within the Dubai Mal