Skip to main content

Week 10

We just finished our mid semester final exams. Only two days but it feels like we've been studying forever.
Most of the surgery topics, Orthopaedics & Internal Medicine covered in 9 weeks.
Finished our theory papers yesterday. Internal Med in the morning and Surgery/Ortho in the afternoon. The afternoon paper was a killer. 30 multiple choice questions but each question had 5 sentences of which you had to read and mark if they were True or False. So in total, 30 questions times 5 is equivalent to 150 True or False questions. That was for Section A. For Section B we had short answer questions. 4 main questions and each of them had about 4 to 5 sub questions. And then for Section C we had 3 long answer questions which again had about 4 sub questions each.
We had to draw certain things, too; the hepatobiliary tree/tract, the pancreas in relation to the stomach etc, the inguinal canal (Google it :P), the thyroid. So many things.
You know when you have so many questions like that and you've studied for about one whole week and yet don't have enough time to properly answer everything it can be incredibly frustrating. The multiple choice questions took up a lot of time. I still had so much to finish within the last hour. It came to a point where I just gave up. I couldn't think anymore. It's like my brain just shut down.
The same thing happened today for the physical examinations we had to perform.
First part consisted of the general examination, cardiovascular system, respiratory system, abdomen and central nervous system. I was so nervous I couldn't think and it was so bloody embarrassing. I had to take the tendon hammer in with me so I put it on the bed, beside the patient after using it. Once the examiner told me I was done, I was so nervous I picked it up with a little too much force and it flung out of my grip and hit the wall behind me and fell to the floor. Absolute. Mortification. Quickly picked it up and ran out of the examination room. 
For the second part, we had to cover the joints, spine, shoulder, elbow, wrist, hip and knee. I studied everything. I practiced with and on my friends a few times. But no matter how much you practice or how much you study, once you get nervous, everything sort of gets stuck. You can't process the answers and even though the examiner asks you questions that you've answered before, you just can't seem to reply. And it's frustrating. It's so, so frustrating and so, so embarrassing because not being able to answer makes me feel like such an idiot.
Needless to say, I've been called back for a re-sit next week. Along with the rest of my class xD
So tired but can't seem to fall asleep.
The things you sacrifice when you do medicine. You sacrifice your sleep just to stay up studying, remembering, understanding, memorizing facts for never ending exams. You sacrifice your health, eating at odd hours in the middle of the night and skipping meals because your metabolic system has gone haywire and you don't even have proper time to exercise! You sacrifice the time you spend with your family because sometimes you have to cur your breaks short to come back earlier to study or catch up with lessons. You sacrifice relationships, putting them on hold or very simply don't get into one knowing full well you won't be able to handle it or give the other person what they want; like your time and energy because you spend it all on your books and classes. You sacrifice your Sundays by going to class instead of attending service in church. 
We've only got one day to rest and recuperate before the week starts again. Really can't wait to be home with the family soon.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Table Topics: Judgement & Understanding

Took one of my classmates out today coz she needed to get some things. She's been through a lot. Nothing I will disclose here but we had a pretty long chat in the car once we got back. And it's really true what they say about never judging someone before getting to know them. She opened up to me about everything that was going on. How she felt about things. How she was dealing with things. And at the end of the day it all boils down to understanding. There's a reason behind the things people do. It's simply a matter of accepting that reason and understanding them for it and them helping them get through it. You hear stories about married couples going through a divorce. It's really not an option anyone should think about after marriage. After all it's for better or for worse, right? But what if sometimes it becomes too much to bear? What if sometimes things get impossible to handle? What if that's the reason divorces happen in the first plac

To Date.

I've recently been nominated for the Liebster Blog Award thanks to a friend of mine I've only known via Facebook for some years now. The blog post for that is still being drafted. I've been posed some pretty tricky questions /;) Haven't been blogging as frequently as I used to coz I didn't bring my laptop back home this time round. Didn't think I'd have much use for it. Things have been a little...crazy here to say the least. I'm actually twenty-one now. Though I must say, the word 'freedom' was never synonymous with this age. All I ever related to this milestone was responsibility. Funny. It's been such a rollercoaster ride of emotions. I could never completely describe it. I've been thinking about how I've celebrated my birthdays all these years. Two birthdays I celebrated away from home. My eighteenth, which was in the UK with Aunty M and Uncle T, and my twentieth, which was in Johor with my classmates and a once

Dubai

Dubai was actually a layover. Since I have friends there I decided to spend a few days with them before flying out to London.  I took Emirates to and from Dubai & the UK & it was great. The unlimited wine was a major plus :P Only spent about 3 days in Dubai so I saw only a few of the major must-see spots.  My friend picked me up from the airport & we went to her place first. It was about 20 minutes away. More depending on traffic. Roads are very broad and each side has 6 lanes with a minimum of 3 on average. You see a lot of SUVs there. There's a lot of American influence. The UAE doesn't have their own national car.  It felt a lot like being in KL at first. Only after a while I started taking in the difference. Plenty of skyscrapers everywhere. But unlike KL, buildings here are built much closer together. & there is a LOT of development going on, still.  After washing up at home, we headed out to the Burj. The entrance is within the Dubai Mal