Skip to main content

My 24th!

I turned 24 on Valentine's Day.
And though I couldn't spend it at home with my parents this year, my friends made me feel just as special.
Everything started at the stroke of midnight. The calls came in, messages flooded my inbox, voice messages on Whatsapp, pictures, wishes.
To be honest I was secretly expecting my gang of friends to come banging on the door at 12 like what we always do for all our other friends but by 12.30 when I didn't hear anything I decided to just call it a night. Was already under the covers by 11.30 so all I had to do was snuggle up and go to sleep.
Just as I got a call from a friend at around 1.00am, I heard someone at the door. And as much as I pictured everything in my head, how I'd react and how I'd be surprsied and how I'd feel so touched, when the actual banging occurred I just zoned out. 
Gaayethri stood at the door, gave me a hug (and a present) and wished me happy birthday. Then she made sure I was decently dressed and said the gang had something planned for me downstairs so I was to follow her and to leave all belongings behind. I thought they were going to pour water on me or something.
So we got out of the lift and I see everyone together, holding a tin foil tray, like the ones you use to make pies, and they started singing happy birthday. I was fighting back tears because not having mom and dad around made me an emotional wreck for some odd - possibly hormonal - reason. When the birthday song ended I was asked to blow out the candle, which was actually a matchstick in the middle of the homemade "pie" and then they asked me to close my eyes and make a wish.
And that's when they smashed the pie into my face.
And smeared it all over my hair. Which I washed and carefully blow dried less than 2 hours beforehand. 
I stood there in shock and disbelief trying to digest what had just happened while laughing because it was so obvious that something like this was going to happen but I was totally oblivious to the fact.
When everything sunk in about a minute or so later, I ran after everyone trying to hug them, and that's when they lighted up proper candles on a proper cake and sang happy birthday again :P
Everyone came up to my place and had some cake while I tried getting bits of oats, coffee, tea, biscuits and whipped cream out of my hair in the shower.
They stayed until almost 3.00am. Really appreciate all the effort they took to prepare everything and come over even though we had to be at the hospital in under 5 hours.
The next morning in the ward one of the psych patients randomly started singing happy birthday and the whole gang told her it was my birthday and she came up to me and smiled at me with her one -and only - tooth showing and wished me and everyone else. It was quite an experience lol. 
In the evening once everyone was a little more rested, we went for an early dinner.
And I had my favourite sago, coconut milk, corn and brown sugar dessert.
We were stuck at the restaurant for some time because of the pouring rain. So a lot of plans got cancelled and pushed back.
At about 8.30 I had dinner with some other friends and they, too, surprised me with a slice of cake. The whole restaurant sang happy birthday lol. 
Mom and dad sent me a parcel with all my favourite tidbits.
Gaayethri gave me some pretty earrings.
And Dev gave me chocolates.
My little sister gave me a notebook and a little envelope attached to it with some cash because she didn't know what to get for me. Which was really thoughtful. But is going back into her purse when I'm home next.
I spent the last few hours of my birthday with a good friend of mine over ice-cream.
Keeping my fingers crossed for a major post-birthday celebration this weekend because as much as I loved every minute of my day yesterday, there are still a few things I'd like to do :D
So very thankful for and blessed with thoughtful friends and for being able to spend my day with some of the people I love. 
Here's to yet another wonderful year.
:)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Table Topics: Judgement & Understanding

Took one of my classmates out today coz she needed to get some things. She's been through a lot. Nothing I will disclose here but we had a pretty long chat in the car once we got back. And it's really true what they say about never judging someone before getting to know them. She opened up to me about everything that was going on. How she felt about things. How she was dealing with things. And at the end of the day it all boils down to understanding. There's a reason behind the things people do. It's simply a matter of accepting that reason and understanding them for it and them helping them get through it. You hear stories about married couples going through a divorce. It's really not an option anyone should think about after marriage. After all it's for better or for worse, right? But what if sometimes it becomes too much to bear? What if sometimes things get impossible to handle? What if that's the reason divorces happen in the first plac

To Date.

I've recently been nominated for the Liebster Blog Award thanks to a friend of mine I've only known via Facebook for some years now. The blog post for that is still being drafted. I've been posed some pretty tricky questions /;) Haven't been blogging as frequently as I used to coz I didn't bring my laptop back home this time round. Didn't think I'd have much use for it. Things have been a little...crazy here to say the least. I'm actually twenty-one now. Though I must say, the word 'freedom' was never synonymous with this age. All I ever related to this milestone was responsibility. Funny. It's been such a rollercoaster ride of emotions. I could never completely describe it. I've been thinking about how I've celebrated my birthdays all these years. Two birthdays I celebrated away from home. My eighteenth, which was in the UK with Aunty M and Uncle T, and my twentieth, which was in Johor with my classmates and a once

Dubai

Dubai was actually a layover. Since I have friends there I decided to spend a few days with them before flying out to London.  I took Emirates to and from Dubai & the UK & it was great. The unlimited wine was a major plus :P Only spent about 3 days in Dubai so I saw only a few of the major must-see spots.  My friend picked me up from the airport & we went to her place first. It was about 20 minutes away. More depending on traffic. Roads are very broad and each side has 6 lanes with a minimum of 3 on average. You see a lot of SUVs there. There's a lot of American influence. The UAE doesn't have their own national car.  It felt a lot like being in KL at first. Only after a while I started taking in the difference. Plenty of skyscrapers everywhere. But unlike KL, buildings here are built much closer together. & there is a LOT of development going on, still.  After washing up at home, we headed out to the Burj. The entrance is within the Dubai Mal