Skip to main content

If You're A Girl With A Car

Girls and cars.
Single girls and cars.
You learn that freedom comes with a price.
My four wheeler started giving me some problems about three weeks back. 
The engine used to die and then come back to life within seconds and the radio settings would run whenever the car was in either 'park' or 'neutral' gear. I had friends with me all the times it happened but it was still unnerving. Then last week I couldn't start it a couple of times. No lights came on, there wasn't any sound. Absolutely nothing. Sort of came and went. Some days it'd start, some days it wouldn't. Incredibly frustrating especially when I had errands to run. Same thing happened again on Monday just this week. Car was on campus. After trying a couple of times it was fine. But yesterday it didn't start at all. Hitched a ride with my neighbours to uni and asked around if anyone knew any good mechanics I could call who could come take a look and see what was wrong but no dice.
So finally today I skipped my afternoon practical session and went back to the apartment just to see if the car would start again. And it did! So I immediately drove it over to Goodyear, which was about less than ten minutes away, and got them to see what was wrong. Turned out the battery terminal heads had gone kaput and were loose. Within half an hour the guy replaced both the heads and the car was good to go.
Initially when it happened I thought it could've been a problem with the fuel valve since the car kept stalling then starting up again or the alternator coz whenever the car started it sounded different (you don't leave the house as a girl with a car without picking up a few things from your dad over the years) but it was a simple contact problem. The relief, now that it's sorted. Oh man.
This is the second time I'm having trouble with my little tin can. Sometime in August I went and banged a parking ticket machine as I was coming out of a basement car park. I swear it was SUCH a female thing to do. I'd planned to take my ex out for lunch since it was his birthday but then that happened and I had to fork out nearly eight hundred bucks to get it fixed. The bumper broke and my door, the driver's side door couldn't be opened. I will never forget how broke I was for two whole months or how bloody embarrassing the whole episode was. Goodness.
So you chicks with cars, wherever you are, make sure you take the trouble to know, at the very least, the basic parts of your car's engine. Know where the battery is. Where its terminals are. Know what kind of battery your car uses. Whether it's a dry battery or flooded-type battery. Always check to make sure your radiator is filled with enough water so that your engine doesn't overheat. Learn how to pump air for your tyres! You can do it at any petrol qiosk and if necessary I'm sure the attendants will be able to help you out all you have to do is ask. If, however, you really don't want to, then look for a tyre shop nearest to your place and go there at least once in two or three weeks and get them to pump your tyres for you. It's usually free of charge (I've done that twice myself :P). If you're strong enough, try to learn how to change a car tyre. It really isn't that difficult you just need to be able to handle the weight. Always make sure you have the number of a mechanic you can call in case of emergencies and stick to one guy so he'll know your car well enough to be able to handle it whenever it needs handling. Wash your own car if you can. Get car wash that has wax in it too, not just the usual car wash. Use Rainax for your windshield and windows so water flows as droplets, providing you with clearer vision when you use your wipers when it rains. You can get all these things at any supermarket or car accessory shop.
Be very careful if you're driving alone. Especially if you're driving alone. Be alert and mindful of drivers around you. 
Don't forget to have parking coupons in your car. I got my very first fine last month for not having one of those coupons displayed on my dashboard. Don't forget to pay those fines or you won't be able to renew your road tax. 
Keep an umbrella at the back just in case. And a box of tissues. 
And keep your car clean. Please. Don't keep junk in your backseat or booth. Don't put unnecessary teddy bears and shit everywhere. It's your car. Not your play room. Or bedroom.
I've got a small little car to move around with, but so many things have changed because of it. First thing I save up for when I start working is a car. First thing.
Forgive me if this post is a little monotonous and bland. I haven't stopped yawning for the past hour and have just found out that I'm anemic.
Yet I had to type this out in case I ran out of time again.
Cheers.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Table Topics: Judgement & Understanding

Took one of my classmates out today coz she needed to get some things. She's been through a lot. Nothing I will disclose here but we had a pretty long chat in the car once we got back. And it's really true what they say about never judging someone before getting to know them. She opened up to me about everything that was going on. How she felt about things. How she was dealing with things. And at the end of the day it all boils down to understanding. There's a reason behind the things people do. It's simply a matter of accepting that reason and understanding them for it and them helping them get through it. You hear stories about married couples going through a divorce. It's really not an option anyone should think about after marriage. After all it's for better or for worse, right? But what if sometimes it becomes too much to bear? What if sometimes things get impossible to handle? What if that's the reason divorces happen in the first plac

To Date.

I've recently been nominated for the Liebster Blog Award thanks to a friend of mine I've only known via Facebook for some years now. The blog post for that is still being drafted. I've been posed some pretty tricky questions /;) Haven't been blogging as frequently as I used to coz I didn't bring my laptop back home this time round. Didn't think I'd have much use for it. Things have been a little...crazy here to say the least. I'm actually twenty-one now. Though I must say, the word 'freedom' was never synonymous with this age. All I ever related to this milestone was responsibility. Funny. It's been such a rollercoaster ride of emotions. I could never completely describe it. I've been thinking about how I've celebrated my birthdays all these years. Two birthdays I celebrated away from home. My eighteenth, which was in the UK with Aunty M and Uncle T, and my twentieth, which was in Johor with my classmates and a once

Dubai

Dubai was actually a layover. Since I have friends there I decided to spend a few days with them before flying out to London.  I took Emirates to and from Dubai & the UK & it was great. The unlimited wine was a major plus :P Only spent about 3 days in Dubai so I saw only a few of the major must-see spots.  My friend picked me up from the airport & we went to her place first. It was about 20 minutes away. More depending on traffic. Roads are very broad and each side has 6 lanes with a minimum of 3 on average. You see a lot of SUVs there. There's a lot of American influence. The UAE doesn't have their own national car.  It felt a lot like being in KL at first. Only after a while I started taking in the difference. Plenty of skyscrapers everywhere. But unlike KL, buildings here are built much closer together. & there is a LOT of development going on, still.  After washing up at home, we headed out to the Burj. The entrance is within the Dubai Mal