Skip to main content

Of Planned Events & Nosy Idiots

There are about twenty new students who have come in for the foundation program for this April intake. Just two days shy of their orientation week, I was told to handle the orientation program together with my other friends who were given respective posts. 
With such a short amount of time on our hands, I had a short meeting with them Thursday evening to come up with some ideas on what we could do and by the very next day I chose four team leaders and delegated all the work that had to be done. I chose the team leaders based on their given ideas and also because some actually volunteered, which made things much easier.
On Friday for our next meeting I came up with the outline of the week long program and together with our secretary and co-director, we got the proposal done and handed it in to management.
The first few days of the program basically involved icebreakers and Q&A sessions. Slowly once the students were a little more comfortable with their new environment, we told them about what we had planned for Friday since it would be their last day of orientation.
Instead of the usual drama/sketch that we're always asked to perform, my team and I decided to have them come up with mini musicals. So that meant more music, singing and dancing compared to just acting. 
Now Friday was the last day of class for us seniors before we had to leave for our study break. A lot of my friends had buses to catch that evening so I wanted to finish off the activity for that day as fast as possible without holding anyone up.
The day before the finale, I gave out formal invitations to the judges (who were all part of management) in the hope that they wouldn't forget the time or venue of the day's program.
By eleven Friday morning my friends and I gathered at the Student Resource Centre, where the program was to be held, and got everything set up. We just had to rearrange the chairs, tables and clear the stage area for the students. Half an hour later everything was ready. The PA system was also set up and we tested it out. Everything was set to go. I even had time to go out and get some refreshments for the judges.
Friday morning, just before setting things up, I was called into the office and given the suggestion to carry out our activity at the lobby. To be quite honest I was rather surprised with the suggestion.
If you scroll down, the third picture below is the university lobby. The first two pictures are of the student resource centre. Everything we needed for the event was at the student resource. Chairs, tables, plug points. Plus it was an enclosed area with air-conditioning.
The lobby, however, had none of these commodities. We would have to carry more than thirty chairs outside, carry tables, get extension wires because there aren't any plug points and get stand fans because of the heat. Their logic to have the program at the lobby was just beyond me.
I thanked management for their 'suggestion' but firmly stood ground and said we'd be carrying everything out at the student resource.
Student Resource Centre

University Lobby

We started everything off at two thirty. Our MC did a brilliant job. By three forty five we were actually done. Much earlier than I'd planned we'd finish.
As the MC says his thank you's and wraps up the event, one of the judges suddenly comes up on stage, grabs the mic and says the juniors now have permission to rag the seniors.
I literally went What The Eff because that was not in our plan, agenda, neither was the idea brought up to me by the person who came up with it.
The student council president, who was not in charge of this event in any way whatsoever, went up to the judges during the performances and told them about this without consulting me.
I was furious.

He initially told one of my friends about this and when my friend told me this I said no, we wouldn't be carrying it out. As it is we were fighting against time so that those who had to go back could leave immediately. Because I said no, this smart ass told the judges, who decided to take matters into their own hands.
It may seem like such a trivial matter to most of you. The fact that the student council president just wanted to have some fun with the juniors and seniors.

But no.
Whatever it is he planned to do, he should have discussed it with me first. He may be the Queen of bloody England but I was the organizer of the event. The least he could do was talk to me about it before suddenly blowing it up in my face.
How would you feel if you had spent so much time organizing something that went absolutely perfect, only to have it end in such a way?
I marched right up to him once everything was over and calmly gave him a piece of my mind. He had no right to interfere with something I had planned. 
Honestly. 
Some people need to know when to keep their butts out of other peoples business!

P/S: A huge shout out to my friends for being a wonderful team. Without all of you, this event wouldn't have been possible. Much appreciation to you guys <3.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Table Topics: Judgement & Understanding

Took one of my classmates out today coz she needed to get some things. She's been through a lot. Nothing I will disclose here but we had a pretty long chat in the car once we got back. And it's really true what they say about never judging someone before getting to know them. She opened up to me about everything that was going on. How she felt about things. How she was dealing with things. And at the end of the day it all boils down to understanding. There's a reason behind the things people do. It's simply a matter of accepting that reason and understanding them for it and them helping them get through it. You hear stories about married couples going through a divorce. It's really not an option anyone should think about after marriage. After all it's for better or for worse, right? But what if sometimes it becomes too much to bear? What if sometimes things get impossible to handle? What if that's the reason divorces happen in the first plac

To Date.

I've recently been nominated for the Liebster Blog Award thanks to a friend of mine I've only known via Facebook for some years now. The blog post for that is still being drafted. I've been posed some pretty tricky questions /;) Haven't been blogging as frequently as I used to coz I didn't bring my laptop back home this time round. Didn't think I'd have much use for it. Things have been a little...crazy here to say the least. I'm actually twenty-one now. Though I must say, the word 'freedom' was never synonymous with this age. All I ever related to this milestone was responsibility. Funny. It's been such a rollercoaster ride of emotions. I could never completely describe it. I've been thinking about how I've celebrated my birthdays all these years. Two birthdays I celebrated away from home. My eighteenth, which was in the UK with Aunty M and Uncle T, and my twentieth, which was in Johor with my classmates and a once

Dubai

Dubai was actually a layover. Since I have friends there I decided to spend a few days with them before flying out to London.  I took Emirates to and from Dubai & the UK & it was great. The unlimited wine was a major plus :P Only spent about 3 days in Dubai so I saw only a few of the major must-see spots.  My friend picked me up from the airport & we went to her place first. It was about 20 minutes away. More depending on traffic. Roads are very broad and each side has 6 lanes with a minimum of 3 on average. You see a lot of SUVs there. There's a lot of American influence. The UAE doesn't have their own national car.  It felt a lot like being in KL at first. Only after a while I started taking in the difference. Plenty of skyscrapers everywhere. But unlike KL, buildings here are built much closer together. & there is a LOT of development going on, still.  After washing up at home, we headed out to the Burj. The entrance is within the Dubai Mal